TETHERED BOATS IN VELVET



I dreamt our boats were tethered,
forever in the ocean
One night I reached out to feel where you were.
And you were still.
I couldn’t find you in the velvet black
of midnight, when the waves tossed my little boat
From side to side, no anchor, no home, no option
But to keep riding on the choppy storm.

You and I like two catamarans that make one big beautiful vessel.
With so many places to go, things to make, beauty to behold
Love to grow.
One night I lay awake under a sky where the stars
Were muffled in indigo candy clouds
And I reached out to find if you were there
But you were still, so very still.

“I may have to go”, I whispered through the void
For a while, I don’t know
when I’ll be back
But I can’t carry on
If we don’t come out into the light now
and be truly seen.
But I promise..”
I said, as you rocked asleep on the waves
“We will always be joined underwater, always be joined under waves.”

I know you are quiet while keeping the crew
Safe on your back in the indigo blue
Not waking them up to cause an alarm
But your soul-sailing twin is coming to harm.

You lay sleeping and probably had not a clue
That our boat was turning and starbirds sang “It’s true
When we don’t wish to hurt those so very dear
When we’re frightened to disrobe and to do what we fear
We may instead cast away the one that is nearest
By being still, in the night, when they reach out to find us.”
I left you in the middle of the
Indigo sea,
But I kept hold of you in ways you just couldn’t see.

Love if you reach out in the dark to find me
and I am silent and still.
Know I'm very much here, reach a bit deeper to feel.
The harbour heart calling for this mysterious ‘home’
For an end to the rocking boat lost on the foam
The door was open waiting so the water got in.
If you enter love fully, if you jump fully in.
Or If you walk away fully, the door can be closed
No one hangs here forever in overexposed.

Silent I sailed on
But with the engine murmuring.
I kept the catamaran tied to yours
Under velvet sapphire covering.
Two boats drifted on
Through the endless night song.
Home in the homelessness of millions of stars
Awake in the hearts kept in millions of jars
And thrown to the waves to scurry them on
Who knows where we end up
Or to whom we belong? 


JB xx

Comments